Wednesday 17 June 2009

Two Dubyas

I have not been able to think of anything to say for two days. I think this might have something to do with Royal Ascot, which consumes me. I backed a winner at 3-1 and a placed horse each way at 20-1 yesterday, which was nice. There were also two losing bets who each came 4th. Today, I followed the evidence from yesterday that the vulgar American's horses had travelled well and were in sparky form. He's called Wade Webley or somesuch (and yes, his colours DO have a big WW on them, also on the horse's blinkers). His second horse duly romped home at 7-1. Also nice. Another each-way bet came 4th today, but we can overlook that.

I don't mean to be beastly about the yank; it can only be a good thing that Ascot is attracting international stars consistently. And he can do what he likes with his racing colours, even if they are a touch egotistical. You can spot a chap who is first-time-out in a morning suit, though.

They certainly know about raw speed, the Americans. Both horses have been ridden balls-out from the starting stalls, with no subtlety required from the jockey. There are another four running over the next three days. Wade's son Randy (I'm guessing here) was interviewed by Clare Balding and let's just say that he was not exactly shy about predicting a treble with Yogaroo in the first race tomorrow. It's shortening in the betting even as I write.

3 comments:

Philipa said...

Are you taking Mrs Idle to the national hat parade tommorow, Idle? The hat I liked the best was one made entirely of bubble plastic. I can't remember which year but it was very fetching and of course bubble plastic it utterly compelling.

I've ridden a stallion western style in the States, a thoroughbred arab horse in Egypt, a camel, a donkey and my own horses here at home. But the Grand National scares me. I've never been to Ascot and think it would be fun but the race I'd like to see is the National.

In fact it's so terrifying I might chicken out. I can hardly watch it on TV.

I liked the film 'Seabiscuit'. Tremendous horse. Fab film.

idle said...

A wise man once told me never to take my wife to Ladies' Day, unless I wanted her to spend two terms' school fees on an outfit, instead of one term's.

I have attended Aintree only once. Quite enjoyable. But Cheltenham is the business for jumps. Most years I go all four days.

Royal Ascot isn't what it was, and it's not just that I am a traditionalist nearing 48. But the racing remains the best five-day flat meeting anywhere in the world.

The book was much better than the Seabiscuit film, which suffered the usual drawbacks of trying to put sport into a film. (Remember the execrable Shooting Party? Or Grand Prix?) I'll watch anything with Jeff Bridges in it, though.

Sen. C.R.O'Blene said...

Iders, your betting skills easily out-stretch mine...

Sadly, all I can recall from my last visit to Ladies Day, was seeing two blokes; terminally arseholed, and clinging, giggling inanely, to the link fencing on the slope down to the station. They very nearly fell into the clutches of the 5.20 from Portsmouth too and we were all incredibly underwhelmed...

Also, the lady who was stretched out by the loos was a disgrace; she let her knee be shown to several hundred pissed-up patrons stepping over her! BTW, we also saw her knickers...!

Other than that, I had a great day, and met some great contacts, had a few tinctures, and did some business...

Glad you won a few notes; that's always a compensation for the Oik's revenge...