Saturday 13 June 2009

Sir Francisco Scaramanga

Knight of the realm, Sir Christopher Lee.

Hear, hear, says I.

You never saw a harder-working actor. See his imdb page for the full astonishing list. The old boy is nearing 90 and has got at least half a dozen films still to hit the screen, in various stages of production.

We went to the same school, albeit 40 years apart. He hated it, apparently, but they managed to coax him back last year to award a prize and prove to him that even military-style public schools such as ours have now turned into country clubs with every known comfort and facility. No wonder they cost £30 grand a child each year.

6 comments:

lilith said...

Oh Yes. At last. They made him wait till he was 87 though! The Wicker Man is pretty class too, Idle.

Philipa said...

Wicker Man was indeed a classic.

I agree with you, Idle.

But I do think Her Majesty is employing the 'yeah whatever' style of monarchy generally. Although I wouldn't be without her. What amuses me about the honours is the occasional rampant leftie being pleased as punch to accept an honour and go to the palace.

Elby the Beserk said...

Hammer Double bills one of the delights of my youth. Often Cushing starring in one and Lee the other. Titles such as "The Blood Beast Terror".

The Wicker Man was in fact part of a double bill. It preceded Don't Look Now. How's that for a night out at the movies? My ex and I saw this very double bill at the big cinema in the middle of Oxford, whose name escapes me. Pre multi-screen, big balcony, it must have held nigh on 2000. The scream at the closing scene of Don't Look Now nearly brought the roof down.

Thud said...

I couldn't think of a more deserving chap.

Anonymous said...

It never ceases to amaze me how old some people have to be to get an honour of any sort.

On the other hand, young sportsmen and women or "entertainers" often seem to pick them up just because a politician is trying to look "with it."

I don't know what devalued the entire honours system more: cash for peerages or a knighthood for Mick Jagger.

Call me Infidel said...

Long overdue in my opinion.