Friday, 24 April 2009
Listen to Joanna Lovely and decide for yourself if the Gurkhas are getting a fair crack of the whip.
Bear a few things in mind:
1. The B-and-Bs of southern English towns are stuffed to the gills with economic migrants who, the moment they get in, are supported by the state, despite having made no contribution to this country. Mostly they arrive from France, which evidently is not good enough for them.
2. Anyone in the EU, regardless of their politics, can choose to live in Britain.
3. All the evidence is that you can, as an asylum seeker, display your hatred and contempt for Britain, its people and its laws, yet stay in Britain and receive its welfare; no record of contribution is required, at all.
4. Nepal is in terrible shape, politically and economically.
5. In September 2008, the High Court ruled that immigration rules denying Gurkhas who retired before 1997 an automatic right to stay in the UK were unlawful.
GayGordo said the new rules, allowing more Gurkha veterans to settle in the UK, are “a big advance on where we were before. Anyone who’s done 20 years service is going to benefit as a result of this decision. Anybody that has suffered as result of injuries and has got an award for gallantry will also be able to come. I think this is a big advance on where we were before.” Bastard.
Any front-line soldier knows that most displays of bravery and gallantry go unrewarded; saving your comrades or beating the enemy is its own reward. So, if you gave 15 of your best years to HM Forces as a Gurkha, avoided injury, and didn't get a gong, it's tought titty. What a disgrace.
création d' idle at 12:42 pm